Uphagenhaus




Johann Uphagen purchased the house located at Langgasse 12 (12 Dluga street) in 1775. Over next few years the house was completely modernised and adapted to the needs of the new wealthy owner by Beniamin Dreyer. Uphagen lived in the house until his death in November 1802 when the house became the property of successive heirs of the family. According to Uphagen's will no changes were made in the house and old furniture and interior were saved.

In 1911 a museum was created in Uphagen house and was open until 1944, when the German conservators removed its interior and furnishings. The house was totally destroyed in March 1945.

The house was rebuilt within just ten years from the end of the war with the idea of restoring the popular merchant interior museum for Gdansk inhabitants; however this idea was not implemented until 1998, when the house was made available to visitors


Uphagen house at the beginning of 20th century.




Sketch of facade and plans of the house.




Interiors of Uphagen house at the beginning of 20th century.

Vestibule (Diele).
Red Hall (Roter Saal).
Red Hall (Roter Saal).
Red Hall (Roter Saal).
Red Hall (Roter Saal).
Dining-room (Speisesaal).
Dining-room (Speisesaal).
Dining-room (Speisesaal).
Stove in dining-room (Speisesaal).
Bedroom (Schlafzimmer).
Bedroom (Schlafzimmer).
Music room (Musikzimmer).
Music room (Musikzimmer).
Hall (Durchgangsraum).
Kitchen (Küche).



Ticket to Uphagen house.



Dluga street destroyed in 1945.