Short history of Wrzeszcz / Langfuhr

"Once a time, there was a city which close the suburbs Ohra, Schidlitz, Oliva, Emmaus, Preust, St. Albrecht, Schellmuhl and Neufahrwasser had the suburb named Langfuhr. Langfuhr was so large and so small that everything that occured on this world or would be able to occure, occured or would be able to occure in Langfuhr.

In this suburb, among the gardens, training squares, irrigated fields, lightly rised cementaries, shipyards, playing-grounds and barracks' buildings, in Langfuhr, which gave the roof over head for seventy two thousand notified citizens, which had three churches and one chapel, two grammar-schools, lyceum, one secondary school, school of crafts and household, still to small primary schools, but it had brewery with brewery pond and ice-chamber, in Langfuhr, which meaning was granted by the "Baltic" chocolate factory, city airport, railway station and famous technical university, with two not equal size cinemas, tram depot, still overcrowded sport hall and burnt synagogue; in well known suburb - Langfuhr, which authorities managed the municipal orphanage and blind institute - placed in beautiful neighbourhood of Heiligebrünne, in Langfuhr, annexed by Danzig in eighteen fifty four, which had been placed near Jäschkentaler Wald with Gutenberg monument, as profitably situated district, in Langfuhr, which tram lines led to Brösen, to Episcopal Oliva and to Danzig, so in Danzig-Langfuhr, at suburb famous of Mackensen's hussars and successor to the throne, with the Strießbach flowing through, lived young girl called Tulla Pokriefke..."

Günter Grass "Hundejahren"

Wrzeszcz (Langfuhr) is one of the oldest Gdansk districts. The first mention about it is dated on 1263. It is described as a little settlement near Gdansk. But probably it existed earlier.

The main source of the prosperity of the first citizens of Wrzeszcz and their workplace was Strzy¿a river (Strießbach) with its tributaries. The water mills was placed at the east end of Wrzeszcz, near the mouth of Strießbach to the Vistula river. There are only two historical mills have preserved till now. East of mills' locations New Scotland (Neuschottland) village was built in 16th century. The famous Uphagen residence was built at the south part of Wrzeszcz, now there is the fragment of park and classicist palace built in 1814.

The rich burgher's residence, with brewery and fishpond rise at the way to Piecki (Pietzkendorf) village. The picturesque park rise at the hills near the Ja¶kowa valley (Jäschkentaler Wald) at the beginning of 19th c. Its central point was the 98 m height hill.

The Ku¼niczki (Kleinhammer) farm was at the north of Wrzeszcz. Its name originated from the water forge at the Strießbach river. Except the forge there were mill and sawmill. The three roads led to those villages from Gdansk. The Great Avenue (Große Allee) - now the Victory Anenue, was built, as a result of Mayor Daniel Gralath solicitations in 1768 - 1770. Four rows of lime trees from Holland were planted along the Avenue.

At north-west, Wrzeszcz bordered withvillages: Strzy¿a Górna (Hochstrieß) and Strzy¿a Dolna (Leegstrieß). They were found near industrial works. After some time, the beautiful and rich courts were built also here.

In 1814, Wrzeszcz and Strzy¿a Dolna were annexed by Gdansk. In 1870 the railway station in Wrzeszcz, at the Gdansk (Danzig) - Koszalin (Koslin) line was opened. Almost two years later, the horse tram replaced the omnibus and in 1896 the first electric tram replaced the horse tram.

19th century was a period of rapid growth of Wrzeszcz. The tenement houses replaced courts and rural buildings in central part of Wrzeszcz. The villas were built at side streets. Last decade of 19th c. and first decades of 20th c. were characterised by very dynamic enlargement. Many new streets and new condominiums along them were built during 20 years, from 1890 to 1910. The new condominiums rose at both sides of Grunwaldzka Street (Haupstrasse) and north of railway track. The great changes were made along the Great Avenue. The municipal cementaries were founded there - all were destroyed after the 2nd WW. The technical university and hospital were built there too. The old buildings near Strießbach were destroyed and the great, modern barracks of Leibhusaren were built there.

After the First WW, Wrzeszcz had its golden age. Wrzeszcz had almost 53 000 citizens in 1929. The big condominium was built at north part of Wrzeszcz and the airport was places in Zaspa (Saspe).

The year 1945 was very tragic for Wrzeszcz and for all Gdansk for the Soviet Army reason. The huge part of Wrzeszcz was destroyed and many buildings were ruined. Behind many acts of barbarism, the Gutenberg monument - the symbol of Wrzeszcz was stolen. Only just few years ago, the copy of the monument was set in bower in park near Jäschkentaler Wiese.



Langfuhr in 1711

Langfuhr in 1783

Langfuhr in 1800

Langfuhr in 1899.

Langfuhr in 1940.