Wagner's operas in Zoppot



History of Waldoper in Zoppot (Sopot) beggins in 1909, when August, 11th the scene was opened by opera of Conradin Kreutzer "Das Nachtlager in Granada". In 1922 the first opera by Richard Wagner was played, it was "Siegfried". From 1924, when "Die Walküre" was played, Wagner's operas were played every year. It made Zoppot very famous, it was called even "the Bayreuth of the North" and the most famous artists like Swen Nilson, Erna Schluter came to Zoppot to play there, also the most famous conductors like Karl Tutein, Roger Heger, Franz von Hoesslin conducted in Waldoper.

All Wagner operas were played in Waldoper but "Tristan und Isolde". "Tannhäusera" was played in 1925, 1933, 1939, 1940 and 1941, "Lohengrin" in 1926, 1932, 1937 and 1938, "Parsifal" in 1928, 1936 and 1937, "Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg" in 1929, 1934, 1935, 1941 and 1942, "Der Fliegende Holländer" in 1940, "Rienzi" in 1935 and 1936. The parts of Tetralogy were played separatly - "Siegfried" in 1922 and 1942, "Die Walküre" in 1924 and 1934, and "Götterdämmerung" in 1927. As whole Trilogy they were played in 1931. "Das Rheingold" was played as part of whole Tetralogy "Der Ring des Nibelungen" in 1938 and 1939.

The last Wagner opera was played in 1944 when "Siegfried" was played. On 6th December 1944 Hermann Merz, the director of Waldoper, dies. It finaly finishesthe period of Wagner Festivals in Zoppot.

Here are few pictures from operas from magazine "Die Möwe" and from postcards:

Poster, cover of the booklet and information about operas from newspapers.






How the scenery for "Tannhäuser" in 1940 was built:


Actors playing in operas:



The extra attraction was the possibility of meeting the actors on the streets in Zoppot or during the trials on pier in Zoppot:



Stage decoration were amazing: